Call Now: 1-888-933-7462
Click to Call Email Us
Home > IEC Travel FAQ


Have Questions About Travel and Work in Canada?
The following are common questions about lnternational Experience Canada (IEC) (formerly know as Youth Mobility Program) as well as about travelling and working in Canada (working holiday in Canada). If you have any other questions, please contact the Embassy of Canada in your country. Look for “International Experience Canada” on their website.

1. Who can participate in International Experience Canada?
Young people between the ages of 18 and 35 can participate. Some countries, however, limit participation to those between 18 and 29 or 30. Be sure to check the specific requirements for your country.
2. I am not a student. Can I still participate?
Of course! International Experience Canada is open to students or individuals between the ages of 18 and 35 who want to travel and work in Canada.
3. I would like to study and work in Canada. Can I do this under International Experience Canada?
No. The goal of International Experience Canada is to discover Canada, not study. Travel and work experiences through IEC may not be combined with studies in a university degree or college diploma program. However, participants can take short-term language courses. For more information about studying in Canada and work opportunities as a student, visit Education Canada website.
4. Is my home country a participating country?
We have programs in several countries and are adding new ones all the time. Please see the list of all participating countries.
5. How much does it cost to live in Canada?
International Experience Canada does not provide financial assistance to participants. You are responsible for your own paperwork costs, travel expenses, accommodation, and the dollar exchange rate with your country. Check Google or another search engine for information on the cost of living in Canada
6. Do you provide financial assistance? What am I responsible for?
International Experience Canada does not provide any financial assistance. While a travel and work abroad year can be a very rewarding experience, it can be expensive. Plan accordingly. You are responsible for your own journey, including travel arrangements, Visitor to Canada Insurance, otherwise known as IEC travel Insurance, Youth Mobility Insurance, or Canadian Working Holiday Insurance, airfare, participation fees (if applicable), accommodation and finding employment in Canada. For information on insurance options please click on this link.
7. What kind of jobs can I find in Canada?
All kinds! It depends on what you want to do and how hard you want to look for employment. Many participants find work in the tourism and hospitality industries (restaurants, pubs, hotels, etc.), where Canadian employers are willing to offer temporary work for shorter periods of time. You may also obtain work experience in a variety of fields such as science, law, health, education, commerce or communications.
8. Where can I obtain an application form?
For details on how to apply, please visit the International Experience Canada section of the website of the Embassy of Canada in your home country. If you are planning to use the services of a Recognized Organization to facilitate your travel and work plans for a fee, you should contact them directly.
9. Why should I participate? What’s in it for me?
Learning from other cultures, living and working abroad and the self-reliance you gain from international experiences, are all highly marketable in a global economy. Companies with international operations often seek individuals who are able to communicate effectively in more than one language, and who can understand the nuances and values of a different culture. An international experience can give you all of this and more!
10. Can I immigrate to Canada under this program?
No. If your plan is to immigrate to Canada, International Experience Canada will not be an option. To see the options available for immigration, please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
11. How much does it cost to participate in International Experience Canada?
To participate, you must pay a participation fee of C$150 (or the equivalent amount in your own currency) to International Experience Canada during your application process.

Are you looking for frequently asked questions for Canadian participants? Please see FAQ for Canadians.


Considering Life Insurance? (Canadian residents only) Besides offering the widest selection of travel insurance in Canada at the best possible rates, is also affiliated with DesLaurier Financial Services (our parent company) which extends the same philosophy to Life Insurance and other Insurance products including Critical Illness and Disability Insurance). Please take a look at some of the excellent rates we offer here:

Instant Life Insurance Quote

Gender:  Male     Female 
Smoker/Tobacco:  Yes    No 
Health Class: 
 Type of Insurance:   
Face Amount: